Radio over IP (RoIP) is a technology that has emerged over the last 10 years and has provided a powerful and flexible mechanism for linking radios and dispatch consoles. RoIP has some inherent limitations and numerous technical challenges. This workshop will provide an overview of the technology, the key standards and some of the technical issues.
The workshop will cover the following items:
- The difference between RoIP and VoIP — how radio systems differ from phone systems
- Implementing one-to-one connections
- Implementing many-to-many connections
- Risk management: identifying network issues affecting RoIP/VoIP quality, maintenance and redundancy
- Design elements: building blocks; calculating network bandwidth requirements
- Impact of new technologies such as IPv6, wireless broadband and the emergence of PTToC